In 1739 Captain Richard White and his family purchased Blackrock House (now called Bantry House). As the family prospered they added to their holdings of land around the house, making it a total of 320 square kilometers.
The original house was extended and transformed by the second Earl of Bantry, his family and descendants. They brought with them artefacts from all over Europe and Russia to decorate the premises.
They also envisioned the different levels of gardens with their views opening up onto the glory of Bantry Bay.
It is a tribute to their work that the eighth and ninth generations of the family still own the gardens today and have opened them up for visitation to the public. Those looking to spend a few days in the area, stay at the bed and breakfast or to plan an event like a wedding, are always welcome.
Contact Bantry House: